Thursday, March 29, 2012

Portraits

So, lately I have been thinking about commissioning portraits. This blog may take a turn down art-nerd lane, but bear with me. If you are an artist, you know that although you can draw just about anything better than the average person, every artist has their knack. Their thing that they are more exceptional at. What they love to draw because it amazes even them when they are finished. For some people it is nature, for some it is architecture, and for me it is people. In a high school art class we had a project to draw human hands in various positions. I was fascinated. Paying attention to the curves and shadows, the tiny details of creases and texture. This turned into drawing more portraits. In my spare time I would draw the models on the Abercombie and Fitch shopping bags, or people in magazines. I would draw pictures of family for presents or projects. I am definitely my worst critic, and finally after more than ten previous tries, in my senior year of high school I drew a self-portrait that I was pleased with.

After I set up my art nook I sat down one night to draw and figured I would try things out with drawing a picture from Jake and my wedding album.

We ended up hanging this in our bedroom. We have a little "nook" where our door is, so this is the first thing you see when you walk in. A nice way to start and end the day :)


I have also drawn a couple of other portraits but I have to wait to post pictures. I also need to fix something and take a picture of one that I drew for Jake of him and Reece. I drew it a couple of years ago and it now hangs in our man cave.

So back to commissioning portraits. I have thought about starting an Etsy page or something for it. All I would need is a photo, which people could send by email. I could include the price of the frame and matting.



That's all for my random ramblings of the evening....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!