Friday, December 20, 2013

If it's not One Thing, It's Another.

I think someone is trying to make it very clear to me that this little baby is going to be head of household come February.  I am so not in control.  It's a very weird feeling after being healthy, athletic, and so in tune with my body for so many years to be experiencing pregnancy where you don't know your body anymore.  How is it going to react to this?  What will happen from that?  Why do I feel pain here?  Why does it hurt when I lay like that?   Catch my drift?

Don't get me wrong, while I've had some different things going on [Hydronephrosis, sciatic nerve pain, failed the 1hr glucose test] I feel that I've been relatively healthy and I love being pregnant.  Feeling her kicks and movements, especially as she grows, is like nothing else in this world.

Well, to elaborate on what I've updated on facebook lately...I took my 1hr glucose test and failed.  My doctor wants you to have levels under 140 and I was at 157 from the 50 g(?) sugar drink.  I went back about a week later for the 3hr glucose test which brought back nightmares of my hypoglycemia test in high school.  They drew my blood beforehand, I drank the 100 g(?) sugar drink--or should I just say orange syrup, it was horrible!!--and then they drew blood every hour for the next three hours.  I'd like to thank the tech who found my difficult veins every time and didn't have to re-stick me any of those times! A rarity for me when getting blood drawn, maybe because of my low blood pressure?  Who knows.  Well, it's really almost funny with the results for that test. Before the drink, my glucose level was at 66, at 1hr it was 139, 2hr was 119, and 3hr was 98.  How I could consume twice as much sugar and have lower levels is beyond me.  Again, just showing that a pregnant body has a mind of its own!  Either way, I'm just happy that this means no gestational diabetes! Yay!

So the day after being happy about that, I get a call from my urologist [the doc I've been seeing to follow my Hydronephrosis].  I had a follow up renal ultrasound to check on my dilated kidneys last week and while the scans came back good--no change, which means although I'm still dilated I do not need to get stints put in--they found bacteria in my urine.  They found this before, about 6 weeks ago, however now the levels were higher and they were concerned enough that they wanted it treated with an antibiotic.  So, after reviewing everything with my ob, they informed me that I tested positive for Group B Strep which is a bacteria that lives in the body and many people have it but may never know.  It doesn't cause any problems, sort of a "good" bacteria in a way, however the concern comes in because it can be passed to the baby during childbirth and the baby's immune system isn't built up yet so she could get sick.  Even though I'm taking the medicine now, they will give me antibiotics during labor as a precaution to protect the baby. 

So there you have it.  If it's not one thing, it's another, but I am loving this experience and getting closer to having our little one here to hold!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!